Friday 1 April 2016

TOP FIVE: Horror Films.

TOP FIVE: Horror films.

Like the 'top five' posts I did before, this is my top five horror films, which will fit into all different sub genres of horror, and could possibly not be considered horrors to some, but personally, I'm categorising all of these as horror. 

(AGAIN, no particular order.)


1. It Follows (David Robert Mitchell, 2014).

I watched this film for the first time quite recently, and it has just the perfect amount of "scary" for it to be enjoyable, and leave me able to sleep comfortable that night. I love the fact that it's a new idea, and not something I've seen before. Many horror films use social fears and present them in the form of a monster, like The Hills Have Eyes or Eden Lake. Yes, vampire films could also be said to be a metaphor for societies fears of STI's and the spreading of them, but I feel like this film is done so differently, and  I like that. Although, the ending was ambiguous and felt like it was cut short. Despite the ending though, I would definitely recommend watching this if you're looking for an unpredictable horror film.

2. The Shining (Stanley Kubrick, 1980).

Like I said in my Top Five films post, I adore this film and Nicholson's performance is absolutely fantastic. It's a wonderful portrayal of Stephen King's book, and definitely something to watch if you're wanting a classic, or simply something different.


3. The Amityville Horror (Andrew Douglas, 2005).

If you didn't guess from my Deadpool review (I did try to be subtle), I am in love with Ryan Reynolds, and his performance in this film just makes me love him even more; the intensity of his character is insane, and causes me to watch this remake of the 1979 original over and over again. This is a film for those who like to be scared, and it always makes me jump, time after time.


4. The Babadook (Jennifer Kent, 2014).

This film is one of the most terrifying horror films I have ever seen! I've only been able to watch it full throughout once, and I genuinely struggled to sleep without seeing figures in the dark corners of my bedroom. Honestly, it's terrifying, but the storyline is enigmatic and worth the watch. Despite the young boy being extremely frustrating to watch at times, he redeems himself eventually and makes the film worth watching.



5. The Silence of the Lambs (Jonathan Demme, 1991).

An absolute classic! There isn't much to say about this one, as I like to rudely assume that everyone has seen it due to its mass following and popularity. It follows a detective played by Jodie Foster who seeks help from Hannibal Lecter, and despite my personal disliking to Foster, I could watch this film over and over.



No comments:

Post a Comment